[pianotech] How NOT to move a grand piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 11 14:53:57 MDT 2010

William Truitt wrote:
> I accept your premise about the two feet in the truck, judging from the
> pictures.  Even if it did "just clip", that still begs the question - Why
> wasn't somebody watching?

They probably were, just not in the right spot at the right
time, like we all have done thousands of times. They just got
unlucky and didn't get away with this one.

>And why didn't they spin it sideways on the gate,
> as virtually everyone has suggested?  To borrow a phrase from Forrest Gump,
> "Stupid is, as stupid does."

That's starting to look like a possibility. What makes you
think they didn't? Where are the pictures of the piano in
place and the gate lowering? I went looking for them. I see
the truck arriving. I see them setting the dolly, using the
gate to lift, and I see them wheeling the piano on the dolly,
out onto the gate. Then I see the piano on the ground. The
picture of them with the piano in place on the dolly and the
gate going down is curiously missing. Why? There are pictures
of the reaction of the crew immediately after the dump, and
further pictures of onlookers and the rescue attempt with the
front loader, so the photographer was apparently documenting
as much of the process as possible.

> If he doesn't understand why it happened, I definitely wouldn't hire them
> for the next move, bad luck or no.  But judging from the worldwide
> publicity, they are probably getting fewer calls anyway.

I'm sure that's true, which is why I think it would be nice to
see the real sequence of events in the photos. This,
naturally, is better press, whatever damage it does.
Ron N