[pianotech] renner whippen assist springs

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Apr 12 06:46:41 MDT 2010

Re: [pianotech] renner whippen assist springsJon et all,
 Thanks for the responses. Reweighing keys in this case is not an option.This local church was seeking a grand piano and was focused on Petrof. The friend of a cousin of a teacher of the pianist --Ya Da Ya Da -- had a 7' + petrof in another state for sale and a trip (Sans Technician) was made .End result was a purchase and Keyboard Carnage move to Bushell Piano Movers and then to the church. I was referred by the local mover . This piano was purchased by the church with some strong internal- political objections as to price and need. I come riding up on the Hyundai chariot and explain why the touch is so heavy .Clipped off assist springs to remind our readers combined with poor regulation and excess friction resulting in 80 gram DW. The dilemma for my church contacts is to explain to the commitee and in particular one member who was against the idea in the first place why the piano needs so much work --$$$$ -- when it was supposed to have been "Restored" by the seller who bought it to flip and loved it so much he kept it for 10 years.The  priniciple "decider" said it wasn't so heavy before the move.    Ok ,I'll go with that.
My proposal is for the usual action-key prep , and Reg.  from the ground up which will include reinstall of the springs of course. Reweighing keys with the system described sounds intriguing and probably a lot of fun,but I'm gonna have to keep this one as simple as possible .
 The meeting took place yesterday. This kind of group -commitee dynamic makes me glad I work alone!
I'll keep you posted on the soap opera component and Jon, I may take you up on that trip to the Cape .
 Tom D.

  I made a spring making tool (jpg attached).

  I like to make the loop arm 2mm longer so it does not strain at the loop
  in the rest position. With a longer spring arm, the difference in tension
  between rest and let off is not as great as with the OEM spring.

  I have lots of the OEM springs.  Take a ride down... :-)
--

  Regards,

  Jon Page