[pianotech] PIn Block Question

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 12:17:05 MDT 2010

>Hi,

I am ready to try a pin block replacement on a ~1930's  Haddorf (Krakauer)
48" upright. The existing pinblock has three different  pin lengths- 2.25",
2.5" & 3".  2/0 & 4/0 diameters as well as some metal pin bushings. The
block is 3/4" 3 ply maple plywood overlaying a solid piece of 2" thick
maple. I can pull some of the pins out with my fingers!

The plan: rout the existing block to receive a new laminated maple pin
block. Schaff lists three different thicknesses- 1.25, 1.375, and 1.5
inches. What thickness would be best?

I was given this piano. I am using it for practice repairs. The bass bridge
needs recapping as the pins there also come out by hand. It is a solid piece
of maple complete with many cracks. Soundboard has no cracks, but could use
refinishing. I'll restring it and then work on the action. I hope to be
ready for the vertical regulation and repair section the the RPT exam when I
finish this <G>!

Thanks,

Chip Tuthill
Associate member PTG
Tuthill's Piano Service<

Hi Chip - If you wish, I would be glad to send photo files of the process
being done. I would recommend the 1 1/4" pinblock. You'll want to have a
short and a long straight cutter for your router. If the sides of the
inserts are parallel you can cut them on the table saw for a tight fit, and
not have to use any epoxy to fill gaps. I just use a thin layer of Gorilla
Glue all around, and a long screw on each of the four corners.

But, the pictures show the whole process better than I can explain it.
Chuck Behm