[pianotech] Type of action

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Tue Apr 13 15:52:43 MDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: John Ross
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:47 PM
Subject: Type of action

Caught without a camera :-(
First look at an Apollo Baby Grand piano, serial number painted over.
Someone restrung it, and gave up.
I am going back next week to look again, but wanted to take some extra info.
Hammer shanks, are seperate, like an upright, and fit into a butt, like below. LOL   The top L is where the shank would go.
Knuckles, are not round, but are kind of rectangular, with a cut out, that the jack fits into, actually part of this butt if I am remembering right.
It is alright to remind me, that with this hodgepodge of supposed to be information, nothing can be done till I get a picture. I thought I could remember, so didn't even make a drawing. Boy, talk about senior moment.

_____________              The L's are the corners, the j is for the jack

How do you guys do those nice drawings?
Anyway, can anyone point me toward what action this is.
Hammers are 2 1/2 inches from the strings. It is a complete mess, I need somewhere to start.
Ok I will get pictures next week.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.