[pianotech] Filling in for fellow technicians

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 21:30:45 MDT 2010

Hi Ryan,

I run a tight ship over here.  I run my business as a business.  I sub
contract continually over here Ryan throughout the whole year.  I am most
often booking so far ahead it's not even funny.  Rather than lose a client,
I take care of them by using sub contractor's.  It's good business and it
works well.  It's a win/win for everyone.  I do it not only with tunings but
also with reconditioning and rebuilding jobs as well.  I am friends with all
of the good technicians around here.  Whoever I recommend to tune for me as
a replacement will be a technician that I trust, will not take the client
from me for any reason.  There is no written agreement necessary.  It is
merely verbal.  The client is mine.   Period.  I am hiring you, as my
technician.  Unless I don't want the client back, I will sub contract it out
to the technician, sending the bill to the client myself.  I then pay the
technician myself as well.   That way, my name and number remains in the
client's files from my invoice.  If they happen to request the same person
to come back never having had me before, that's fine.  I'll send them back
again, repeating that same process of sub contracting it out to them.

In the type of situation where you were called to tune for a friend, to me,
it is no different.  In this case, I will always refuse the client as a new
customer.  I think it's a bad policy to take work away from a fellow
technician that asked me to take care of their client for them.  I look at
it this way; I wouldn't want them taking it from me so I won't take it from
them either.  To me, it's sort of like stealing.  What goes around, comes
around.

Jer