[pianotech] tool cases

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 15 20:05:23 MDT 2010

Hi David,

You reminded me of something I thought was pretty clever and very cool when
you mentioned practice rooms etc.  When I was visiting with Yat Lam Hong a
week or two ago, we met at his office in Western Michigan University in
Kalamazoo where he of course, services the pianos.  I was pretty impressed
with how he carried things around his school.  First, he had a BIG bag
filled with tools and and various items.  Things separated by color coded
pouches.  He got this bag and other things too from Harbor Freight.  The
same web site I sent earlier today to William.  Inexpensive things there
but, good stuff he says.  I've never been in one and we have one here in
town..   Gotta go soon!

Anyway.  For example, in one color coded pouch, he has all of his tuning
tools.  Anything tuning related such as mutes, felts, tuning hammer etc.
The pouch zips up and is relatively small yet, large enough to fit what he
wants into it.  In a different colored pouch, he carries nothing but
stringing tools and stringing related items.  In another colored pouch, he
had regulation tools.  In yet another, he carried a variety of punchings.
All in their own separate containers of course.  Yat Lam then made himself a
table something like oh, I don't know, probably about 2' wide and about 4'
long and about 4' high or so.  It even has shelves on it.   It has drawers
too.  It has cupboard doors down below that click and snap shut so the crap
doesn't fall out in transit.  In the cupboards, he placed piano strings and
other stuff.  I didn't get a chance to see it all.  On the bottom, he had
installed double wheeled piano castor's for easy rolling around.  Prior to
leaving his office, he loads it up with whatever he thinks he might need and
then just wheels it all over the place from room to room eliminating
completely carrying anything around.  Pretty clever idea, one I had not
thought of for my college of 90 pianos.  One certainly worth looking into
for sure.

I know, I know. I too, have a car full of crap that half of the time, I
hardly ever use but have.JUST IN CASE...........  It will be there. That is,
until I need it.  Then I realize, I just put it into my shop because I
hadn't used it in 5 years..

Jer