[pianotech] Value of Client List

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 20:18:13 MDT 2010

Does anyone have some ideas as to coming up with dollar value of a tuning client list. Although 1500 names in the database, as you know, not all of them get their pianos tuned regularly. Clients move, sell the piano, stop taking lessons etc. Best I've come up with is averaging, over several years records, the real income produced, by who actually gets their piano tuned, as some sort of value. Any other ideas, especially from those who have actually sold such a list, would be appreciated. A 'value' needs to be established due to divorce proceedings.

Michael

Michael

The value of the list is how much money it can generate. What you've come up with is probably the best guesstimate of the value. The problem is, what the tuner generated over the last couple of years, will not be the same as what someone will be able to generate over the next couple of years. The other thing to take into consideration is, if this was a direct sale, there are several other factors to consider.

When I've given an appraisal of a piano involved in a divorce settlement, a lawyer told me to give him the "fire sale" value, In other words, what the piano is worth when everything's got to be sold in the next couple of days. I wonder if the same philosophy should be applied to a customer list?

Wim

Does anyone have some ideas as to coming up with dollar value of a tuning client list. Although 1500 names in the database, as you know, not all of them get their pianos tuned regularly. Clients move, sell the piano, stop taking lessons etc. Best I've come up with is averaging, over several years records, the real income produced, by who actually gets their piano tuned, as some sort of value. Any other ideas, especially from those who have actually sold such a list, would be appreciated. A 'value' needs to be established due to divorce proceedings.

Michael

The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Get started. =