[pianotech] What kind of action is this?

Mark & Janine Davis pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Fri Apr 16 16:39:27 MDT 2010

Hello David, Floydd and Ric

Yep, tuning the Challen grands is not a nice experience.  Here in South
Africa there are quite a few of them around.  Apart from short poorly made
pianos the Challen grand is really horrible to tune, particularly if they
have original strings and string bearing felt.

With regards to the action type, here in South Africa we call it a "Simplex
Action", although I am not sure why?  Maybe because compared to the normal
modern grand action it is simpler!?!?

I have had opportunity to do some regulating work on this type of action
once before.  They are very much like an upright action, with the jack
pushing up against the hammerbutt (the hammerbutt assembly looks like an
upright's), and that is it, no double escapement, no repetition lever, no
knuckle.

I did struggle with regulating it as I was not sure how much aftertouch to
give.  I made the aftertouch about 1mm and adjusted the springs accordingly,
not to strong and not to weak.

The piano works and no call back as yet!?!?

Anyway, enough for now

Best regards

Mark Davis