[pianotech] Pully keys

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 10:54:01 MDT 2010

I'm working on a 1970 Hamburg model D Steinway -- a pretty
unimpressive piece of workmanship generally speaking and among its
defects is a rather soft Kluge keyboard, nearly with nearly all the
balance holes ovalized.

One a few of the keys I have made a 3mm deep saw kerf at the font of
the hole and inlaid a strip of rosewood.  This works fine but I'd
rather find a quicker way since already I have discovered too many
unforeseen jobs to do and I don't want my hourly rate to fall too low!

I had to remove all the cradles to scrape out from each about an
ounce of hardened tallow and graphite and the same delightful stuff
seems to have been used to lubricate the balance holes, to what
purpose heaven knows.  This would prevent the adhesion or absorption
of the various products I'd considered as a solution to the pully
keys.

Any good ideas?

JD