[pianotech] Pin Driving Fluid Search

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 19 21:48:52 MDT 2010

David Love wrote:
> Did you notice or note any difference in the ease with which the pins were
> able to be driven with each one?

Not really. It's not that there wasn't a difference, but that
it wasn't enough to be remarkable, so I didn't really care.
Driven pneumatically or with a hammer, the pins go in in
either case. I'm more interested, as are you, in the result.

Since you mentioned it though, what's driving fluid for when
installing tuning pins? I find epoxy to be a nice lubricant
for driving bridge pins, but it's a tad less likely that
tuning pins will be bent during the driving process without a
functionally similar lubricant. I always presumed driving
fluid to be for after stringing torque levels, rather than
driving ease.

Ron N