[pianotech] pully keys

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 18:42:44 MDT 2010

>  >     Good luck, balance holes are tricky to replace. Please be aware that
>  > several of the methods of fixing balance holes that are available as kits
>  > and some of the shimming methods mentioned, all fail to take into
>  > consideration where the balance hole was originally.
>
>No, we didn't fail to take it into account. We just didn't
>mention it as something that ought to be obvious. John didn't
>ask for a tutorial, he asked for ideas on an approach and
>that's what the responses addressed.

I've tried the kits and know what Michael is talking about. Using a larger
indexing bit to center the cutter does not necessarily place the balance
hole so that the fronts of the keys align.  The new insert has to be indexed
off the front or someplace else like the bachckeck notch or rear of the key.

A worn balance rail hole offers no accuracy because you can not be certain
if it is mostly compressed at the rear or the front, or left to right
for that matter
  for alignment the keys at the rear. I've had to deal with misplaced
balance holes
  due to other's fault and at my own hand.

I don't see Michael's advise as a tutorial to JD but as general info
to the list.

Regards,

Jon Page