[pianotech] D Hammers

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Wed Apr 21 02:04:51 MDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:35 AM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] D Hammers

> Since we hang hammers at the strike point as perfectly level as we can,
> when the hammers are brought back to the rail, wouldn't the naturally do
> what you are describing?

I'm not sure what you mean by "level."  If you mean mounting the hammers
such that the striking area of the hammer is level to the strings, the
answer is "No."  In the factory, we have a fixture that holds the hammer
molding where the shank engages it, at the spacing of the "action scale,"
but also holds the crown of the hammers at the spacing of the "strike
scale."   This predetermines a slight mounting angle in the bass and tenor,
and perfectly vertical in the treble sections.

The attached sketch may help to clarify the problem.  If the shanks are
properly travelled, the spacing will be the same at the strike point as at
rest, when moving together the first three hammers of the tenor section, for
example.  Raising only the center hammer of these three, the spacing
changes, if the hammers are mounted perfectly vertical.  As the crown of the
hammer moves up 47mm, the tip of the tail moves out 6.5mm, as well as up,
and closer to the hammer angled in its direction.  As the tenor bore angle
becomes less and less, this clearance problem becomes less and less, and in
turn the mounting angle becomes less and less.

If you use the first and last hammers of each section as a guide, you may,
without realizing it, be mounting the new set of hammers at the same slight
angles as the original hammers, in an action that was set up in this way.
You may have done dozens of hammer jobs with this set up, and never noticed
the changing hammer mounting angle.

To determine if an action is set up like this, I would suggest checking the
last bass hammer and the first tenor hammer.  Make certain that they are
centered on their strings at the strike point.  Pull the action, and measure
between the center points of the crowns of these two hammers. Measure
between the flange screw centers of the same notes.  If the later is
greater, it is probably intended for the bass and tenor hammers to be
mounted at slight angles.  Since this angle changes very little through the
bass, but gradually changes, as the bore angle changes, throughout the
tenor, it might be useful to leave more than just the two end hammers for
guide hammers in the tenor section.  Be aware that you are using them as
guides to this angle as well as alignment.  Also be prepared to favor one
side of the hammer when leveling to the strings.

If you absolutely object to mounting the hammers at these angles, you've got
a real problem, as the action and keys are made to a scale that does not
match the scale at the strike point.  You could rotate the hammer flanges to
align to the string, but then you would have to re-bend the backcheck wires,
the alignment with the wippens would be compromised.

Frank Emerson