[pianotech] Off List for a Week

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 22 19:27:30 MDT 2010

A-hemmmmm, well, a week stretched into 12 days thanks to a volcano in
Iceland named Eyjafjallajokull. It delayed my departure from fabulous
Ireland for five days - I just got back to Florida this evening. In
fact, we were very lucky to get back today as we were the first flight
out of Ireland to Florida since this whole ash-cloud thing occurred.
Anyway, happy to be back and looking forward to some good piano banter.

FWIW - I only saw two pianos while I was in Ireland. One in a pub up
on a stage - a Yamaha (or similar) C3 or so with a lyre that was
completely coming apart (posts were coming out of the keybed and pedal
box) and a Wagner upright - looked like a somewhat modern piano - no
older than 1920s I would guess, but could even be 1970s for all I know
- that's all judging by the case - but the darn thing was a birdcage
and was straight strung with an open pinblock! Strange duck for sure.

But anyway, I'm back and looking forward to some good technical
exchanges.

Terry Farrell