[pianotech] Chalk or chalk [was restoration]

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 13:55:37 MDT 2010

At 17:10 +0100 22/4/10, I wrote:

>Just ordinary powdered chalk (CaCo3) that you can buy at any
>builders merchant's. They sometimes call it line chank (for plumb
>lines) and it's also known as whitening or whiting.

By one of those chances I came to the polishing of the Steinway D
keys today, couldn't lay my hands on my pot of powdered whitening and
wasn't in the mood to spend half an hour looking for it, so I used
Vienna Chalk instead.  It did the job just as well if not better.
I'll have to make a comparison later.

Now what Vienna (or Berlin) chalk is I am unable to say and whether
you can get it in America I don't know, but here traditionally it is
used with in the final stage of French polishing for the "glass
finish", and that's why I have it.  It has a similar feel to ordinary
chalk but is less white.

One thing it is NOT is French Chalk, which is talc, as in talcum
powder, and a completely different thing with different properties
and quite unsuitable as a polishing medium.  A lot of people seem to
be confused about this.

JD