[pianotech] Tool for plate removal

chip tuthill chiptuthill at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 18:13:56 MDT 2010

You could use Simpson Strong-Tie hangers:
http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalogs/C-2009/C-2009-p114.pdf

The top flange saddle hangers have capacities up to 20 kips for 5.25" width material. The post cap you are using is not suitable for your application. The beam is evidencing failure (checking) already at the connection (nails).

Chip Tuthill