[pianotech] Dampers

Ed Carwithen edwcarw at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 16:08:28 MDT 2010

The piano is a Mason & Hamlin studio upright.  It is in very good shape and not old.  It is well regulated and holds a tune like a champion.  But...there is a noticeable after ring.  AHA... damper problem.  Yes.  Blocking off the single string bass section eliminates the after ring. But each note in the bass damps correctly when played individually.  There is good pressure by the damper on the string; when I press on the string behind the damper the damper follows the movement.  And these dampers are the longest I have seen.  They ought to stop the sound, but there is still the after ring when playing in the middle of the piano.

I told the owner ( a piano teacher) that I would take the problem to the geniuses of the piano tech world and that surely a solution would be instantly suggested.  You wouldn't want to let down a sweet little old lady piano teacher would you???  So tell me what to do.

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR