[pianotech] Glue Strength for Pedal Lyre Repair

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Thu Apr 29 06:45:01 MDT 2010

Advice sought ASAP.  One of my high-profile clients, an embassy here in DC,
tried to move a 1917 Steinway B off a 2' stage without professional mover or
counsel and broke the lyre off.  :(  Broke the top block in half the long
way, right along where the two rear screws go in.  Clean break, but left
half the block and plate attached to the piano, and of course the lyre on
the floor.

Piano is needed for concert Saturday 10 AM!  A couple techs here advised
gluing original block with Titebond.  Thought this might be adequate, as
glue joint will be stronger than wood.  I confess I have limited woodworking
experience, so still find it difficult to put my faith in a glue joint being
that strong.  :)  When I expressed doubt, it was suggested that I might
possibly drill from rear of block to install two 1/2" or 3/4" dowels,
stopping short of front of block, for reinforcement.

This morning I unclamped the lyre block after 24 hours and my glue repair
appears solid.  Can I put the lyre on for Saturday's concert and trust it
not to fall apart?  I don't have access to a drill press until early next
week.  Might I try to drill 1/2" or 3/8" for dowel freehand with hand drill?
Or should I leave well enough alone?

By the way, I have thought about borrowing a lyre from a school piano and
seeing if it fits.  Just a fallback position.  Might I make it work easily?
Not my first choice, but emergency situation with very limited time to work
with making me think outside the box a bit.  Schedule jammed every day this
week with performance work, so somewhat stressed!  Didn't need this kind of
repair/worry.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC