[pianotech] Quickbooks Payroll Rant

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 30 08:23:37 MDT 2010

Terry,

I use PTBiz and Quicken.  I don't enter client data twice, since I only
need it in PTBiz.  Basically, customer records and revenue are in PTBiz,
expenses are in Quicken, and scheduling is manual in my Daytimer.  I
periodically export a client list to my PDA and keep a printout in the
Daytimer.  I've lived through the entire personal computer revolution,
and from the beginning, any so-called "integrated software packages"
were difficult to learn, slow to load, and clumsy to use if they worked
at all.  Nothing has changed in that regard except for the mandatory
upgrades.  I'd rather do a little manual data transfer, say from PTBiz
and Quicken into TurboTax, than pay the cost in hours and dollars to
purchase, learn, and troubleshoot the latest whiz-bang "integrated
software package".  Keeps me off the mandatory software upgrade that
then requires a bigger faster computer merry-go-round.

Mike