[pianotech] pinblock drilling clamp

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 11 19:07:24 MDT 2010

Shawn Hansen wrote:
> When double drilling, I am most worried about getting the pinblock in
> the EXACT same place as the initial drilling.  Most of the suggestions I
> have seen for initial to final drill sizes can be as little as .010"
> difference.  It is hard for me to feel comfortable thinking that the 230
> or so times I drill this block the second time, I will be within 1 blue
> paper punching every single time.  I just think I have increased my
> chances of being inconsistent.

One of the inescapable characteristics of double drilling is
that it's nearly impossible to NOT center the second pass on
the first hole. It self centers automatically. The only way I
can think of to screw it up is to clamp it securely enough
that it can't self center. The method was designed around this
phenomenon. Defeat the phenomenon, and you invalidate the method.

  > good luck with the double drilling.

I have very good luck with the double drilling, but then luck
really has nothing to do with it.
Ron N