[pianotech] CA'ing pinblocks in the summer

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 11:59:42 MDT 2010

I disagree. This is not really a band aid repair. I remember first hearing
about CA in pinbocks in the early 90's. Some of those pianos are still
holding up just fine.  The trick is to get enough material as deep as
possible for best results. That's why I'm planning on using a heat lamp on
my next job. I've even contemplated drilling a small hole through each pin
bushing to facilitate penetration into the block.

Done properly, I believe that this repair can be fairly permanent. CA glue
is pretty tough stuff. I doubt that it will break down significantly over
time. Its basically acrylic plastic, right? The treatment may outlast the
rest of the piano.

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT