[pianotech] inverted soundboard

Don Hubbs donhubbs at mwt.net
Tue Dec 7 10:27:42 MST 2010

I decided to go ahead and give the ribs some clearance from the backpost. I
used shims between the post and the ribs which did have clearance to take a
little of the pressure off and then took really coarse cloth-backed
sandpaper and sanded a grove in the post to get clearance. After re-tuning,
the piano does have better sustain and somewhat more volume. The tone in the
tenor and treble is quite clear with no false beats, so I don't think any
wires are riding up the bridge pins. The bass is still rounder and not as
well defined as I would like to hear, but maybe that is a voicing problem or
just scale design. I think it is probably going to be a useable instrument,
but I am curious to see how stable it is. Thanks to all.

Don Hubbs