[pianotech] disability insurance

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 21:33:43 MST 2010

Hi Ryan and all,

My wife sells disability insurance through AFLAC and YES she has heard all
of the AFLAC jokes just like we've heard the piano tuna jokes..  Here is
what she advises.

AFLAC does not sell disability outside of employ groups consisting of at
least 3.

First of all, workman's comp, is for injuries that happen on the job only.
It usually pays 66% of your income and it IS taxable.  No illness is covered
under workman's comp.

Disability is for illness and injury that would happen OFF the job.  It goes
by the doctor's statement on your ability to work.  This also only pays 66%
of your income.  If disability is paid for with after tax dollars, it is tax
free when you collect.

Here are some things to watch out for and to ask.

1.      If you are able to work at all, do you still get your disability?
Example; a client is on chemo and she can only work 3 days a week.  Will she
get her disability?

2.      If you are able to do another job, but not your own, will you get
your disability money?

3.      Most disabilities last a during of up to 8 months or less.  This
being said, long term disability is cheap because it usually doesn't kick in
until after 6 months of being off from work whereas, short term kicks in as
little as a 7 day wait.  Personally, I carry short term.  I bought mine from
AFLAC when they were still selling to individuals many years ago.

4.      Partial disability..  This means that you can partially work.  Do
you get ALL of your disability money?  Or only half of it?

5.      What is your most important asset?                         No, not
your house...    Your ability to WORK is your most important asset.

6.      There are waiting periods.  Ask, how long do I have to be disabled
before it starts paying me?  Cozette (my wife- Co for short) asks the
question, how long can you go without a pay check?  One week?  One month?
What you choose will be your waiting period and will affect your cost as
will your health and your age.

7.      Yes, there are health questions that you must answer.  So, buy it
while you are in good health.  If you wait until AFTER you have a heart
attack for example, you will probably be uninsurable.  (Co gives the
example.  No insurance company wants to insure a burning house.)

8.      How long do you want your disability to last for?  At least pick a
coverage for 6 months.  A year is a great policy and of course, more
expensive.

I recently was diagnosed with a torn Meniscus.  I am having surgery on
December 30th and will be off from work for 2 solid weeks.  I have a ZERO
day wait for accidents.  This was an accident.  I have $1,000 a month income
(I know, not enough but, remember, it is a very old policy too). I will be
off for two weeks and I will get $500.  It's better than NOTHING.

I also have an accident policy that pays me $$$ for my injuries through
AFLAC.  It pays for follow up visits, physical therapy and much more so,
this will make up for lost income too.