[pianotech] Key Balancing

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 09:25:13 MST 2010

John Asked:
" seem to run across a lot of spinets whose high treble keys BARELY
return because of how short they are. I haven't tried the key gutting
technique. The other day I was prepared to to screw a wood screw into
the back of the key to encourage the geometry, but the situation did not
require it.

Has anyone else tried weighting the rear of spinet keys as a way to
encourage them to come back up?"

-John,
I've developed a whole system to do just that. The impetus was getting the Fandrich-Rhodes Kit from Jurgen. Gave a Chapter class on the whole approach. "Improving the Spinet". Of course it only involves spinets that do not have elbows.<G> The touch can be greatly improved by doing this! I don't recommend the Screw in the back of the key tho.<G> I'm hoping that I'll be able to give same class at a national.
Regards,'
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police