[pianotech] middle pedal

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Dec 27 16:14:02 MST 2010

On 12/27/2010 3:05 PM, Thomas Cole wrote:
> The woman called me that evening and demanded that I put the dampers
> back in that I took out. I managed to explain over the phone that no
> piano has dampers beyond the middle of the sixth octave.

Hi, Tom

I had a customer like that, too. Thought the new grand was defective
because the dampers stopped in the treble, and insisted and swore on a
stack of bibles that _every piano she had ever played_ including her old
spinet, had dampers all the way to the top.

And then there were the kids who thought I was stealing something from
their piano when I took out the muting strip.

And the teacher who made a big noise about herself, but insisted that
the middle pedal of the Steinway D wasn't working, because when she put
it down nothing happened. And, another time, the husband who demanded
that I fix the top four notes of the piano, because all they did was
make a wooden clack, no notes at all, (and they were perfectly normal.)

Diplomacy, diplomacy

Happy New Year, all

Susan