[pianotech] New (to me) action

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Dec 29 07:52:43 MST 2010

Thanks all... I didn't mean for this to be the Tuesday Stumper/Puzzler! I
can't find any diagrams of it either online nor in my Randy Potter course...
so IS it a Thayer action? Jon's description of the elongated knuckle is
accurate.

You can see the top of the elongated knuckle in the lower right foreground
in the "side" photo. How would I regulate the jack-to-knuckle position. (not
how do I adjust it, but where to I adjust it to?)

There IS a drop screw. It's in the hammer rail, and there's an opening in
the flange to access it.

Not being a highly experienced tech nor much of a player, I would say this
piano was much less of a monster than I expected when I first looked at it.
It does really need pinblock (had to CA a couple of pins) and soundboard
(well-cracked) but the action felt a lot better than most 1905-era grands I
see.  The case is another story. I think that every single case screw is
weak, like it's either been taken apart and carelessly re-assembled,
cross-threading and reefing them all too tight.

The C88 hammer was snapped off right at the head. Long story, but I don't
think I did it.  I thought I'd have to diagonal-slice-n-splice a piece of
vertical shank, but looked again and discovered that it uses standard
vertical shanks. I just popped the shank out of the butt(?) at the flange
end, pressed the stub out of the head, and glued in a new shank.

Paul