[pianotech] Louder, after tuning? (simplified)

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 19:21:21 MST 2010

This is interesting... I agree with Ron's perception that the tuned
unison "feels" or "is" (not sure which) apparently less loud than an
un-tuned unison.  I also hear a reduction in sustain, at least in the
treble.

So the question is, if the amplitude of a tuned unison can indeed be
shown to be greater than a slightly out of tune unison via oscilloscope,
what is causing the opposite perceived effect, at least to my ear?

Thoughts:

-some people's experience of out of tune-ness creates a discomfort which
makes the sound seem louder than it is?

-when there is beating is there periodic cancelling as well as  periodic
increase.  The amount of energy available to those two strings doesn't
change whether in tune or not, so is part of that available energy
pumped disproportionally into the positive side of the beat?

-geez, instruments like accordions are tuned with "wet" unisons
purposely.  Those suckers an cut through thick textures quite
effectively.  Tuned "dry" they have much less "power"...I'm not sure I
buy that its solely a perception thing.

Jim I

The strength of the sound a string generates is in its amplitude (the

--
Jim Ialeggio
grandpianosolutions.com