[pianotech] New Year's Eve

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 21:10:28 MST 2010

Hi Gang

Well, it's almost 2011. Here in Hawaii, the tradition for New Year is fireworks, an LOTS of them. Last year the fireworks started at about 6, and it was pretty noisy. But that was nothing compared to what happened at midnight. All of our neighbors came out and set off bottle rockets, firecrackers, sparklers, etc. etc. Not only was the noise deafening, but the gun powder smoke was unbearable. It lasted about 30 minutes.

So as to not have that same experience again, in a few minutes Jan and I are going out to dinner, and then we have reservations at a motel at the airport. Not only are there no houses near by, I figured the airport would not allow any kind of aerial firework. We'll be in the morning to asses the damage. Hopefully our house will still be standing.

For what it's worth, so many people complained about the fireworks last year that the county council has banned the sale of fireworks, (not setting them off), starting January 2, 2011. From what I've heard, more permits and more fireworks were bought for this year than even before, not only to set them off this year, but rumor has it that a lot of people are saving them for next year.

Happy New Year.

Wim & Jan