[pianotech] Tuner's marks/cards

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 19 22:27:14 MST 2010

It's incredible to me that this level of subject matter gets
this volume of response. Back when, everyone locally noted
date, and later, temperature and relative humidity on the keys
or on top of the pinblock on verticals, and either on the
plate, a sticker on the plate, or on the back of a business
card under the music deck in grands. It didn't have anything
to do with advertising or the testosterone induced marking of
territory, it was recorded history. Rarely did a real name
appear with these annotations. Typically, the stylized
initials or "mark" (hobo sign) of the tuner was all there was
to identify the perp. This stuff is meaningless to the
customer, and only served as information to the trade of
Christmas yet to come. It continues to horrify me that the
assumption is that subsequent tuners will dependably remove
all traces of previous tuners at the first visit. Why? Are we
that insecure? I can't tell you the number of times I've
talked the owner of a piano *out* of removing all the previous
tuners' cards from the piano when I'm there tuning for the
first time. They're history. Leave them there. We aren't
Tuesday's conquerors, obliterating all traces of the past
civilization, the better to glorify ourselves by lack of
contrast, and to the frustration of those yet to follow. The
more interesting tuner that the piano owner will have after
you've been dismissed will find the history as enlightening as
some of you apparently find it threatening. Which suggests the
question of why the owner is standing over the piano talking
to *me* to notice all these cards for the first time as a
result of not standing and talking to any of *them* through
the years. It's interesting. I've had long time customers
proudly (?) show me a half dozen of my cards in a kitchen
drawer like a cat displaying a dead bird. What's that about? I
suggest they look on the back of the cards and tell me what
they see. "Dates, and funny numbers. What's 47%?" "That's
relative humidity, I explain, preceded by the temperature."
Explaining (not for the first time) that the cards are a
continuity of the history of climate conditions in the house
at the time of each tuning, I ask what use this is to me or
anyone else when the cards are here in the kitchen drawer and
all this information is not on one card left in the piano
where I placed it.

Oh...

The ones that use the card as a note pad are a different
matter. Then there's the lady this morning who had the piano
pulled out from the wall for me when I arrived.

Sigh...
Ron N

Ron N