[pianotech] business

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 06:28:04 MDT 2010

The only way IMO to charge is by the hour.  I start off by quoting my basic
tuning fee informing them that does NOT include pitch raises or repairs. Not
all pianos are created equal.  Some require more time and effort than do
others and therefore, cost more to work on.  If they inquire, "and how much
extra is that?" I say, a pitch raise usually, runs up to $40 more 'in most
cases but not all.'   Again, it depends on the piano.  As for repairs, if
there are any, I go by an hourly rate.  If it normally takes me one hour to
tune the piano, my tuning rate is my hourly rate.   That is, should I choose
to return the phone call at all.  You can tell many times by the tone in
their voice or by their description, "I just got a FREE piano from bargain
corner, or from my neighbor, it hasn't been tuned they said in 55 years
etc." I may not even bother to return that call but, probably will just to
be polite.  But, if they leave me a message stating "at this time, I am only
price shopping."  Forget it then.  I'm way more than double the cost of the
cheapest tuner in town.  If all they are interested in is pricing, I'm not
interested in their piano either.  They more than likely will have to
concerns about fixing anything and in many cases will expect a tuning to
include everything even if you explained otherwise in advance because they
are not really listening or not paying attention.  On the other hand, if
they are interested in quality, integrity and honesty, now I'm willing to at
least talk with you.

It is often at this time the client will inform me that such and such note
sticks or doesn't play at all.  One note is lower (they mean key) than
another or, the pedals aren't working properly etc.  How much will that
cost?  My answer to them?  I can't see your piano over the phone any more
than your car mechanic can see your car over the phone and diagnose the
problem.  Neither of us could give you an accurate guesstimate of the cost
will be without seeing it firsthand.  Parts are extra.   But I can tell you
my hourly rate and that many times, I am only there for x amount of time and
for this amount of time it will cost you x amount of dollars.  Continuing
that if it is anything major, then I will leave an estimate and return to
finish it at a later (provided the piano is worth fixing) date seeing as how
I only allow for tuning and minor repairs for a "tuning appointment."   We
have no idea until we see the piano how much time is really going to be
required or if the piano is even worth it.  I refuse to make myself late for
the next client because they have neglected their piano and now it needs 5
hours worth of fixing stuff.  No, I do NOT condemn pianos for nothing.  It
is NOT my fault their piano is no longer worth anything.  It is not my fault
they bought something without first contacting a technician to look at it or
at least to have asked us questions about it beforehand.

If it happens to be a spinet and if I have to remove the action, you bet it
will cost them more.  Simple logic.  With "most" spinets, the keys also have
to be removed first which takes considerably more time than removing a
console or larger action.  Often times on the older spinets, the little
rubber grommets might start breaking too.  It is fairly easy to figure out
how much to charge people once you familiar with doing a certain amount of
work on them from past experience over the years with the same brand of
piano.

I don't tune square grand's, period so that solves one problem for me.  I
also refuse to tune those Baldwin's with tuning pins on the back that
requires a music stand, a mirror and a bit of contorting to get at the
tuning pins.  But, if I did, I would charge more just because of the hassle
of it all.

By the way, my secretary came in this week, worked a total of 4 hours and
set up 26 tunings.  Last week, she also worked 4 hours but set up I forget,
something like 48 tunings.  This currently has me booked half way through
October now, 1 week is filled in November and 2 weeks in December are booked
out.  It's a great feeling to know I do not have to worry about what I am
doing for the next 3 months and longer.

Jer