[pianotech] Raising rates in recession

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 3 05:44:17 MDT 2010

I'm not sure what you mean by your first sentence - when I pitch raise
I start from A0 and raise all unisons as I go. My general observation
is that if the piano will need 25% overpull in the tenor and 35%
overpull in the treble, then drop in pitch one observes in those
sections will approximate the % overpull needed.

My comment about not wanting to pull the string too sharp (like 40 or
60 cents sharp) was based not on anything concrete (like a breaking
strength), but rather comments I've read suggesting that you can
distort a string by pulling it too sharp. I really don't know if that
is true or not. Nor do I know what the nature of any potential damage
is (permanent stretch? digging grooves in aggraffes/capo? bridge tops/
pin?). Most comments I've read suggest it is best to not pull a string
more than 25 cents sharp to be sure to avoid damaging it. I try to not
exceed that on nice pianos. I don't worry too much about it on junk
(most pianos).

You are quite right about the breaking %s. Many moons ago I had a 100-
year-old Everett grand in my shop for restringing (my piano). Just for
the fun on it, I was curious how sharp you could pull the strings
before they broke. It was quite apparent all the strings on the piano
were original. I probably tested about a dozen of them before getting
bored. All of them broke in the 300 to 400 cent sharp range.

Terry Farrell