[pianotech] pitch raising in a recession

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 11:02:27 MDT 2010

>I use the Verituner program for pitch raises and I go from A0 to C88.
>If I've tuned the piano previously (have a tuning on my computer), I
>will tune it A0 to C88. If the piano is new to me and up to pitch, I
>will start in the middle, go up and then back to the middle and down.
>
>Terry Farrell

Waiting  or the VT to calculate overpull is wasted time and often times
the note is so far flat it can not read it properly.

What I have done is to create a Pitch Raise file by simply copying an
existing file and then renaming it. I think I used a S&S M file.

So if a piano is -40c, I'll set A=+4c.
Starting at A0:
pull to center (10% o/p),
in the tenor, pull to +5 (~20% o/p)
and +10 higher up (30+% o/p)

-60c would have A0=+6, center +6, treble +12.

This way the VT keeps up with me.  Often times it is an appreciable tuning
and can be left at that with a recommendation for a follow-up tuning. They
appreciate the cost effective service call. Besides I think it is up to them to
get the piano tuned more often to maintain pitch rather than me going thru
extra effort which goes unappreciated and five years later...
--

Regards,

Jon Page