[pianotech] Tuning; was Raising rates in recession

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jul 3 12:47:46 MDT 2010

Dude
  Thanks David...and
 Ok...I been following this thread ...so...I am going to time myself just to see how long it takes to get my hammer on and off each pin for the alleged mythical 5 minute 1/2 step pitch raise.  Even if you can do it the piano will NEVER be stable until the plate stops compressing and this will take about a week. AMHIK
  At Yamaha little red school house they taught to always spend and hour and a half on the piano tuning/whatever so the client is feeling like your trip thru the door was worth the fee. Don't just tune and run.
  Agree with Jer that not all tunings are concert tunings but they should all be stable and musical, and how you do that in 30 or 45 minutes  It  is'nt impossible unless the piano is already close to being in tune anyway.
  Also as far as pianos per day.  Lets see... hmm 4 tunings a day in separate locations. Driving only short distances Each one needs a pitch raise.  With and etd I can do it but I am crabby and beat at the end of the day and its no different for me now than it was 20 years ago.  Jer 11 tunings in a day...Come on. I can't even get my mutes in that many pianos a day and touch each pin with out self destructing. I know you are a talented guy but........
  I'll stop beatin that dead horse now

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
209-577-8397