[pianotech] Ethics was Re: business

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Jul 3 14:57:03 MDT 2010

Hi, Wim

I agree with some of this, but not entirely.

We charge by time, but if something is physically challenging, and we
end up exhausted and unfit for work the next day, that will take more
of our time (for recovery) than just the hours spent on the job
itself. As we get older, this issue tends to crop up more than it
once did, at least for me.

If you are talking about "pain in the a$$" as just meaning disgust
and boredom, then I agree with you. If it's literally a pain, as in
the lower back from leaning over a square grand for several hours,
then it takes away from our ability to do other work, and it is
reasonable to charge more for it. I stopped tuning squares and
players with the actions still in them some time ago. I realized that
I had done all of them which had presented themselves to me for
twenty years, had paid a physical price for it, and I figured I've
served my sentence on them.

There's another consideration coming at us as we get older.
Businesses mature, and so do we. As more work appears with the
passage of time, while our physical tolerance for doing it decreases,
at some point the two lines will intersect. We'll be offered more
work than we can or should do. At that point, how do we triage? I
take the best stuff, especially the concert work, because I see no
one to take my place (yet) and because I like it the best. And I take
good pianos and old customers. And once in awhile, I take an old
wreck for someone who just desperately needs some real help that they
can afford. I consider this my "pro bono" work. I charge a normal
tuning fee, but do a lot more.

By keeping the volume of work low, one can keep the satisfaction of
each job high, and I think in the end I will tune more pianos for
longer by taking this tack. No five minute pitch raises, thanks just
the same. If I'm in a hurry, I'm exhausted, and in the long run the
exhaustion will win. I'm not in my thirties anymore.

We work for the money, for the satisfaction, for the value to the
customer, and to be a crucially needed part of the musical community.
The work should be enjoyable, IMO, both for the piano tech and for
the customer. I call it "semi-retirement."

If someone after thirty years in the business still needs a high
income so badly that they have to keep up high volume at premium
rates no matter what, I sympathize. If it's just a matter of habit,
and they haven't considered the tradeoffs, maybe it would be good to
look ahead a little, before burnout or injury gets them out of the
business altogether.

Susan Kline