[pianotech] Two new articles on Schaff webstore

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 17:41:27 MDT 2010

Hello everyone - Just wanted to let everyone know that there are two new
articles available for download on the Schaff webstore. One titled
"Invisible Ivory Keytop Replacement", and the other "Splicing Broken Grand
Hammer Shanks."

I would appreciate any feedback, (whether good, bad or indifferent), to be
posted on this website. These articles take a lot of time (I logged 27.1
hours on the computer working on the keytop piece, and that's not including
the time involved taking photos in the shop), so it would be nice to hear
back as to whether they are useful or not.

I know that a lot of you on this website are more experienced than myself in
a lot of specific, but for those of you who are starting out in the
business, I hope you find the material I write helpful.

I just sent in a new article, "Upright Pedal Mechanism Transformations,"
which I hope will be posted within several weeks. We go through an editing
process, but once I turn it in the first time, things proceed at a good
clip.

Thanks to all who have e-mailed me directly concerning my writing for both
the Journal and for Schaff. It makes the effort worthwhile to hear back from
those of you that are able to make use of what I write.

Thanks, all, and have a great 4th of July everyone. Chuck Behm

P.S. Concerning all the discussion on hourly rates - I've always charged by
the job, never by the hour. The customer knows going in what exactly the
bill will be, and once I start a job I simply don't worry about the time. My
only concern is the job. I'm sure there are drawbacks, but my customers have
never inquired about what my hourly rate is, and obviously there is no
concern on the customer's part as to how fast or slow I'm working. Just my 2
cents on the topic.

And Marshall - keep your chin up. There's a lot of us who didn't walk into
an established family business who had to "gut it out" for a long time
before things started looking up. I sure that employment opportunities for
visually impaired people are very limited, but I certainly would encourage
you to keep your options open, and if you hear of something that you could
supplement your income with, consider it. I couldn't have made it on just a
tuning income at first - that's why I taught high school English for all of
those years. And that's why I expanded into restoration work also, to bring
in as much work as I possibly could. Stay positive, and don't get down on
yourself. We're all in your corner! Best wishes, Chuck