[pianotech] Raising rates in recession

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 4 07:33:57 MDT 2010

And going in a bit of another direction, what I don't understand at
all about the five or ten minute pitch raise - I presume these are
essentially done "blind". Maybe some folks can do these and get good
results, but from my limited experience trying this method it seems
that maybe with practice I could get to the point where the final
result would be within maybe 20 or 30 cents of the target (from 100
cents flat). But then, if, for example, the low tenor ends up 30 cents
flat, and upper tenor 20 cents sharp, the bass and treble who-knows-
where - a second pass over a piano with the pitch all over the place
is not going to end up within two or three cents of target - with a
piano like that it is darn near impossible to calculate required
overpull/underpull (underpull - is that a word?). So then you'd need a
third pass for sure.

I believe that some people can do this successfully, however, I'm not
sure exactly what successfully means (i.e., the quality of the tuning)
and I sure don't know how to do it. Maybe some convention I'll watch
someone do this kind of pitch raising and then have the opportunity to
examine the results afterwords. That would be very interesting to me.

Terry Farrell