[pianotech] Pitch Raising Feats!

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 13:13:18 MDT 2010

Its about time we changed the topic title, huh?

My own personal record is 14 minutes for a major pitch raise. That's using
nothing but rubber mutes, tuning unisons as I go. Using mute strips I think
I could get it to 10 minutes. I just find that I get a better result tuning
the unisons as I go.

I think I recall seeing Isaac Sadigursky demonstrate a 5 minute pitch raise
at an all day seminar quite a few years ago. Am I remembering this correctly
Isaac??

I think a 5 minute pitch raise is possible on the right piano, i.e. no
string breakage or rendering issues, even tuning pin torque etc. If it's a
half a step flat or more, it is possible to do the raise without the use of
mutes in order to save time.

But like Ron N says, it would be fun to see it on Youtube!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter

--