[pianotech] My New Tuning Lever

Claude Harding charding88 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 5 07:39:14 MDT 2010

Hello Guys & Gals,
   I just returned from the PTG Convention in Las Vegas, and while I was
there I bought a new tuning lever.  I chose a lever made by Charles Faulk of
Kansas.  I am so excited about it that I posted the following somewhat
effusive notice on my Facebook page (picture attached):

    Claude Harding
   Introducing my new tuning lever made by Charles Faulk of Kansas.  I tuned
with it all day yesterday, and it is great!
Only 10.5 oz., with carbon fiber shaft, saving me almost 100 lb. of lifting
during each tuning compared with the lever I have been
using for many years.  Unitized rigid construction allowing me to instantly
feel every slight movement of the tuning pins.
Beautifully turned and finished lemonwood handle, ergonomically designed for
a variety of hand positions and less stress.
$225 seems cheap once I started using it.  True love!

   In addition to the hammer that has been my mainstay for almost thirty
years, I have a variety of other hammers and attachments for special
situations, but the Faulk hammer has overnight become my much-loved, daily
companion in my work.
   This is certainly a strong recommendation for Charles Faulk's tuning
levers, but more than that it is an encouragement to be willing to try
something new, even if it seems expensive.  The lever I have been using for
years is a good tool, AND it was paid for long ago, so I have always put off
any purchase of something new.  BUT NOW, I wish I had made a switch years
ago.
  Don't just willy-nillly discard the tried and true, but be willing to
check out tools and procedures that are new.  It just might "change your
world."
I have (almost) always enjoyed my work, but this new tuning lever has me
EXCITED about going out today and tuning pianos.

Best regards to all,
Claude Harding, RPT