[pianotech] New Classes for the 2011 PTG Institute in Kansas City

Tom Rhea, Jr. rheapiano at cox.net
Tue Jul 6 13:15:58 MDT 2010

Bravo, Diane.  You are absolutely correct.  A 3db increase translates to a
doubling of sound pressure level while a 3db decrease would mean a reduction
by 1/2 of sound pressure level.  Decibels, or tenths of a Bell, are based on
logarithmic tables.  In electronics, 0dbm (zero dbm) is an absolute
measurement of power or sound referenced to 1 milliwatt (mw) of power, hence
a 3db increase from 0dbm would be 2mw of power.  Any Navy Electronics
Technician or Sonar Technician will understand this simple concept.  Leave
it to the government (read OSHA) to screw up their own tables.

Tom Rhea, Jr.
Rhea Piano Service