[pianotech] Was Steinway bashing... Best of the best??

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Jul 6 20:41:02 MDT 2010

Will,

I'm not Al, but I also played the Steingraeber with the CF soundboard, and
Phoenix bridge agraffe system.  The fellow in the booth told me there was
zero downbearing on the system.  That it wasn't neccessary by virtue of the
agraffe system.  Pretty cool.  The CF soundboard is VERY thin.  It has the
appearance of CF on top and has a spruce veneer on the underside, and the CF
with the spruce veneer was probably on the order of 1/8" thick or less.

Sound?  Well, it sounds like a piano.  ;-]  I didn't find that I could
attribute any specific sound quality to the board itself.  Too many other
variables, among other things, but the piano sounded very nice.  Full, round
tone, not a lot of high partial noise.  Though, it was a little bit of a
challenge to listen in the exhibit hall.  ;-]

I certainly couldn't find any reason not to like it out of hand, though.

William R. Monroe