[pianotech] Plans for Grand Skid Board

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 21:22:03 MDT 2010

Here is even lower tech. 14" wide, 3/4" or even 5/8" plywood with two 2x4 rails and a 2x4 head. The runners have slots cut with a circular saw or router just deep enough for the straps to pass through. Pass through slots are 3" wide, and start at 13" and 42" for a 6' skid.

The cotton web strap handles are cut from a roll, and are stapled on with 1/4" crown staples, as is the plywood to the 2x4s. I cover all of mine with carpet, and often do not need to put a pad between the piano and the skid.

Total cost for a sheet of plywood and six 2x4s is less than $50 and yields three skids up to 8' long. Is an afternoon of labor more or less than buying nice ones? It's probably a wash, but it justifies keeping good woodworking tools around. It's also a good project to get the kids to help with.

I have two New Haven skids with E-track straps for day to day moving. I use my skids for storage, and for selling to someone going on a long-distance move.

David Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA