[pianotech] WNG Parts Question(s)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 21:41:40 MDT 2010

I was wondering about using an extractor without heating and the shanks and
the possibility of them shattering that way.  I routinely remove hammer
heads with a plier (double action type) extractor without problems on wooden
shanks but will these take that kind of stress?  Like you I wonder what will
happen to the noodle shanks when you heat them enough to soften the glue and
then what do you do?  Let the shank harden up before the glue does and try
and pop them off?  Extractability of hammer heads is a pretty important
feature with a shank and I'm wondering if anyone has had to extract a set of
hammer heads yet and how it went.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com