[pianotech] Are we fading?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jul 7 18:01:37 MDT 2010

No, I make no such assumption.

However, it is a sound general principle that as manufacturing of a
given product (like ships) diminishes in a given land, then associated
traning for jobs in manufacturing/servicing that product, will *diminish*.

Is it not fair, and true, to say so, as a general rule?

Why else is there now no marine plumbing being tought in my college,
where 25 years ago, 600 a year came through the place learning that?
It's because there is almost no shipbuilding here any longer.

In Scotland, as in the rest of the UK, the situation is similar to that
in the USA, as I have said on this list before. I was perfectly aware of
what Ed was referring to. Anyone here, as in the USA, can set himself of
herself up as a piano technician. The trade/profession has no statutory
regulation.

I know of the courses in the USA, including the correspondence courses,
and I met Randy Potter in the 1980s at a PTA Convention.

While the piano manufacturing and ancillary service trades, and
associated traning, are not quite as low as in the UK, would it be
correct to say that in the USA, and probably Canada and Western Europe,
the general downward direction is the same?

What I am interested in, and tried (evidently unnsuccessfully) to convey
in my post, was not that training will STOP, but that there is an
interesting discussion to be had around what form it will take and how
it will be provided.

Best regards,

David Boyce.