[pianotech] Are we fading?

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 18:58:24 MDT 2010

I agree wholeheartedly with Israel's comments, and in answer to his
question about CSPT's experience, yes, the general population of students is in
the 20-30 year old range, with the usual extremes.

I would also add that, having been around the PTG for 25+ years now, I
began hearing this same issue raised from almost day one. The average age
(entering or otherwise) of membership hasn't dramatically changed since I  came
around. I'm not sure that there's much information in the datum.

Paul

In a message dated 7/7/2010 6:53:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
custos3 at comcast.net writes:

On Jul  07/07/10 2:00 PM Paul T. Williams wrote:

Hi Ed,

>I  think our profession, on the big scale, is slowly dwindling like the
piano  industry as a whole. My chapter here in
>Nebraska, is probably about an  average of my age (nearing 50) or better
(at least those who come to the
>meetings), but we have two budding students who are charged up about  the
future possibilities!

Paul, I really don't see  things as pessimistically as you do. It may be
true that because our  profession consists to a large part of "retreads" -
it's typically a second or  third career choice - the average age will be a bit
higher than typical in  other professions. But, a PTG convention -
especially in a difficult economy -  is not the best sample of age distribution, as
we of the gray hair, spreading  midriff and suspenders crowd (thanks Joe)
are more likely to have the cash and  the leisure to go. You know, kids out of
the house, mortgage almost paid,  business well established...

I come across plenty young people in  our ranks - in their twenties and
thirties. At our San Francisco Chapter  meetings you will typically find a
pretty wide age distribution. The trick is  to develop interesting and varied
programming with appeal to all levels of  competence and not to allow a
chapter to become a narrow homogenous "clique"  that ages together over the years
- which then becomes not particularly  attractive to younger people to spend
time with a bunch of geezers...   It's sort of a chicken and egg thing, I
suppose...

Then again, a large  proportion of the RPT candidates I have tested over
the years tend to be in  their 30's and even 20's. The same goes for the
students from North Bennet  Street School and Western Ontario I meet - and I
would bet that Paul Revenko  Jones could probably say the same about his
students in Chicago (though I  can't vouch for that personally).

>We  need to recruit more young folks who want to continue in our
footsteps.

Can't argue with this. But then there are people who are doing  just that -
and have been doing it all along. Joe Garret in Oregon has trained  some
crackerjack young technicians over the years, and Lance LaFargue in New
Orleans keeps cranking out these fuzzy-cheeked youths who can run circles with
their technical skills around many of us graybeards. John Callahan here in
the  SF Bay area has launched many youths' careers in his rebuilding shop and
so  has Margie Williams while her shop was active - one of them is now chief
 technician at the University of Denver. I am sure there are more such
everywhere...

>I wish I had the time  to properly train some new blood as I have 110
pianos to care for, so lots to  learn from. The
>university is always willing to get free "help", at  least on the upright
practice room pianos.  The down side for me is
>that I have to immediately go and correct all the mistakes :>( as  they
learn;  so the 2 sided coin....heads I win, tails
>you lose.  or the other way around, I should say.

>We only offer a one semester class on the basics of piano  mechanics in
which I have an average of 3 or 4 students just
>looking  for a small bit of education to learn of the instruments they
play. Most of my  students are not even piano majors,
>but filling up an elective as it's  a cool class.    They're always very
enthusiastic in class, but at  the end of the semester,
>that's all they do.  Sadly, and I  think it should be manditory, that all
piano majors take my class; but, then  again,
>I don't have the time to teach that many students.

I don't know how feasible it is to do much training in an  institutional
setting (though I have some ideas that I might pitch to the  appropriate
people given the opportunity) but those of us with their own  private shops are
in a much better position to do this. So we should make the  effort...

>It may be a problem in the  next 10 years, however, the income
possibilities may be huge for the new blood  entering this field.

At least here in Northern California there  are plenty younger folk of both
genders who are well positioned  to take  advantage - and more show up from
time to time... And - by the way - the  fly-by-nights of all ages have
always been with us, and will continue to be  with us - as long as the ignorance
about pianos among those who make a living  playing them continues to be as
widespread as it has always been. And the good  thing about recessions is
that they knock out a fair number of them out of  business - because they
don't have the skill set or the equipment to survive  in difficult times and
expand into a greater variety of work when the tunings  dry up.  But then
again, I have seen enough of those "quick buck" types  actually develop an
interest in the profession after a year or two and  eventually become fine
technicians. So let's not get all gloom-and-doomy about  a preponderance of gray
hair and spreading midriffs at Las Vegas - it means  little, as far as I am
concerned...

Israel Stein, RPT

From:  Ed Foote <a440a at aol.com>   To:  pianotech at ptg.org   Date:
07/07/2010 03:31 PM   Subject:  [pianotech] Are we  fading?

____________________________________

Greetings,
In this  months Journal, Clarence Zeches mentions that the average age of
"our  technicians", (I take that to mean Guild membership), is in the 50's or
later.  Judging by the gray hair and wrinkles at the conventions, (mine
too!) I  will not dispute that.  This was in response to the question of "Where
 are the techs going to be coming from in 20 or 30 years"?
My  personal observation is that the average age of tuners is much lower,
but that  includes the non-Guild tuners, many of whom have an ETD, hammer,
mute and  maybe a screwdriver but no more. It is easy money, and many of the
bread and  butter tunings are being done, (poorly), by part-timers.
Is  the Guild slowly representing fewer and fewer of the people that are
actually  doing the tuning out there?
Ed Foote  RPT
_http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html_
(http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html)