[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 7 22:52:18 MDT 2010

David Love wrote:
> That could be (backscale) the issue. But if otherwise there
> is no difference in tone then what's better, less
> downbearing or more?

Somewhere in the middle, I'd say. With tone and back scale not
being the deciding factor, I'd favor structure, with a safety
factor. Enough bearing to accommodate some long term settling,
but short of abusing the beam support. I tend to like about
0.5° in the bass (back scale allowing) and low tenor, up to
around 1.5° in the treble. That gives me some fudge room
either way when reality rears it's ugly head. Stuck with a
short back scale, I'd load less.

Ron N