[pianotech] Interested in work as an RPT

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 09:49:46 MDT 2010

When I became interested in piano technology in 1992, the first thing I did
was to check out all the books I could on the subject. I would suggest you
do the same. Get familiar with the parts and function of the action and
structure of the piano. Study up on piano tone and the harmonic series and
learn about beats and coincidental partials. This is the really basic stuff
that you don't need to pay for beyond several hours of your time.

My next step then was to contact the local chapter of the PTG. Mitch Kiel
was the  chapter President of Puget Sound Chapter at that time. It wasn't an
apprenticeship at first, because quite frankly, I didn't have any skills
that were useful to him at that point. So we arranged "piano technology
lessons". We'd get together once a week for a couple of hours and he would
give me one-on-one instruction. My instruction was geared towards passing
the PTG exams.

The other important thing was that Mitch encouraged me to join the PTG right
away. After working with him for a few months he took me to the Annual
Conference in Sacramento. After 5 days of classes my mind was blown! And I
was completely hooked! Through the PTG I met other technicians which
eventually led to part time work for them. That's how I stayed afloat during
those first few years when I was trying to get a business off the ground.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter