[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 13:44:15 MDT 2010

  Ron
 Well said.  To Quote Nike..." Just do it" Have your own experience> Get past any fear, make your own way, yer own decisions....  and just do it.  This is the way learning happens after the substantial ingestion of comprehensive information.
 I had to finally stop looking for a guarantee &......well,you know......Just...

Dale

Specifics change. By board designs have evolved considerably over even the last three years.

> I'm not sure what I'm asking for here...I wonder if it would be useful > and instructive to design a panel discussion specific to RC&S  for  the > convention?
I don't see how. No more information will be exchanged than is offered in classes and in list discussion. We've all contributed to the knowledge pool in this respect. What we can't do, and what most folks want, is to supply a checklist of perfected universal instructions which, when applied either with or without an understanding of the physics behind them (preferably without), results in a best of all possible board when the last item on the list is reached and checked off. Assuming we all wanted to make such a universal no fault checklist available to everyone, we couldn't do it because it doesn't work that way. Why isn't there an automatic computerized string scaling program, where you press the button and the ideal scale is produced? Why are scales for the same piano produced by different people not identical? Because the decision tree isn't linear. There are a lot of experience based judgment calls and recursive backtracking inherent in these processes because there is so much interdependency among the component systems. Different folks have different approaches, and different priorities. After all the people years of accumulated experience in string scaling, why isn't there a huge and monstrously detailed and precise list of exactly what number change produces what effect? And string scaling is simpler than belly design, and in fact, a part of it. All the known concepts necessary for belly design have been rehashed here in public in considerable detail for years now. Those who were interested enough in it followed the discussions, burned the brain cells, and spent the considerable time and money integrating these concepts into a working reality of sorts. The fact that the individual resulting working realities are as close together as they are indicates to me that the basic information is good, and the overall approach is valid. We're already for the most part well past fundamental performance issues and into the realm of personal preferences. There will always be differing observation on details, because details vary. When everyone agrees on how, and by what method and tool to tune, we can start on the belly design checklist.

Ron N