[pianotech] Tuning a temperament without counting beats

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 10 06:42:35 MDT 2010

I have met and tutored with Bill Bremmer twice.  Once he even met me in a "classroom" at convention to go over my tuning before taking my first exam.  It was on his own time and nickel.  I believe him to be a man who is interested in helping improve the aural tuning sequences by making it as simple and accessible to everyone.  I know this thread is not "bashing" Bill personally I just thought I would add my impression of Mr. Bremmer.  Thank You Bill.
That being said:  On page 4 he encourages ETD users:
As an exercise in listening, use your ETD to tune the three notes F3, A3 and C#4. Listen to thatsmall difference between the rates of beating in the two contiguous M3s. Now, set your ETD onA3 and tune A3 just one cent flatter. You’ll surely hear the beat rates and ratio change! Try alsosharpening A3 from its normal position and try sharpening and flattening F3 and C#3 similarly sothat you become accustomed to hearing the significant difference that only a one cent changemakes in the beating of a M3 and the ratio of beating of two contiguous M3s.
Try it. On the best piano you can spend a little time with.  Tuning aurally requires practice.  In time using just this exercise I think you will hear and feel the sounds ET presents.
Best wishes and keep practicing.
Steven HoppMidland, TX