[pianotech] Locating & Re-Locating Plate

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 10 14:32:03 MDT 2010

For aligning plate to case, here's what I do:  Make two "headless
screws" by sawing the heads off of two #18 x 3" wood screws, and slot
the ends with hacksaw or dremel.  Before removing the plate, drill two
1/4" holes down through the plate and into the rim, near each end of the
long bridge.  (Caution - locate the holes slightly off from the midpoint
between plate bolts to avoid drilling into the button screws on M&H
grands)  Re-drill the plate only to 5/16 diameter, and screw the
headless screws into the rim until the the top of the screw is flush
with the plate.  For plate height, measure, or mark story sticks, from
the top of the plate to the top of the rim at the front bass corner,
front treble corner, and tail.  Now the plate can be returned precisely
to it's original position even after the old pinblock is out and the new
one not yet fitted.  For fitting a pinblock to the plate and to the
rim/stretcher, Ed's system can't be beat.

Although you didn't ask about it, there will be times when the original
plate location will not do.  If the piano has issues with strikepoint ,
action geometry / capstain line,  bridge thickness, or string height,
you should at least consider whether relocating the plate might be part
of the solution.  I find myself raising plates fairly often, but have
not yet had to move one horizontally.

Mike Spalding