[pianotech] Rim joint repair

Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 12 05:05:57 MDT 2010

Mike,

In the past, I have used dowels to make this repair. I squeeze glue into the
crack and than clamp to close any separation that might exist. When setting
up your clamps leave at lease 3 positions open where you will drill and
insert dowels. Once that dries, you can add additional dowel if you feel
it's necessary. I then come in from the other corner and dowel in between
the other dowels. If you're not refinishing you'll then need to repair the
finish. I've only done two, and they both held up for as long as I was
servicing the pianos.

Al -
High Point, NC