[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 13 08:26:30 MDT 2010

> CC boards get their stiffness as the already
> compressed panel is compressed to the point that it won't compress any
> more, under bearing load.

A little more detail as illustration. Have you seen foam core
poster board? It's a sandwich with foam in the middle and thin
cardboard on both sides. Neither the foam nor the cardboard
are particularly stiff by themselves, but the cardboard is
relatively incompressible. Sandwich cardboard in foam, and it
won't be stiff because the foam compresses. Put the cardboard
on the outside and it's incompressibility makes the assembly
much stiffer than the sum of it's parts. Years back, I threw
together a demo of this. I dug a piece of 5mm plywood (Yamaha
crate, when they were still wood), and a straight 25mm x 19mm
piece of scrap pine out of the wood pile. The "panel" was
about 20cm x 79cm, and I cut the "rib" to the same length and
glued it down the center of the panel, clamped in props to
force the assembly into a crown of about 10mm. After the glue
dried, I tested it's load capacity. My full weight won't force
it flat.

Look at a CC soundboard you're setting bearing on. Unloaded,
it's very springy. You can push down on it and it will
deflect. Pound on it as you push a wedge in between the bridge
top and a plate strut, and at a certain spot, it quits going
down. That's the point where the panel is compressed to where
it has nowhere to go, and that's the point at which you set
bearing that will load 600lbs or more of string downbearing on
it to keep it at maximum compression. That's where the
stiffness comes from. As the wood crushes over time (sometimes
not much time, sometimes a long time), Compression set and
outright crushing of the wood relieves some of that
compression, and the board loses stiffness. Crown lessens or
even reverses, downbearing lessens or even goes negative, and
the killer octave joins the party.

Incidentally, Del's procedure of epoxy soaking the top of an
old soundboard that ought to be replaced but isn't, works by
making the top surface of the panel less compressible as it is
saturated by the epoxy, making the whole assembly stiffer
under load.
Ron N